Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Here Comes Speed Racer

I'm 4 days out from my first event of my season; Monday I received my pre-race email with my instructions on when and where to pick up my race packet (where I get my number that I pin on, my timing chip, my free t-shirt(!!!)) and the race course. It's a couple laps around Central Park, which should be beautiful. The weather report for Sunday is a dismal 59 degrees and showers - am I surprised? No. I haven't had a nice race day yet in the 2.5 years I've been doing this.

Monday I also an my peak run, which is the last high mileage workout someone completes before an event. Typically, this run is done about 2 weeks before the race, to give a week of "taper" before the big day. I (a) have never tapered and (b) plan on running a ton more after this, so my legs should actually get used to just getting demolished week after week now, rather than August.

My peak run is also where I figure things out like what I'm going to wear/try a couple new things to see how they work out/where I'm going to schedule refueling. This is pretty important, as there are about...193849328409745 anecdotes flying around between runners, coaches, various magazines, your grandma's advice, etc about people who have tried something new on race day (layering system, food, socks, sneakers, playlist) and crashed and burned miserably. The horror stories range from massive chafing (you wouldn't believe what patches of skin rub together when you run for a couple hours) to shitting their pants (seriously) to being unmotivated (Ben Folds Five is great to bop to on the train....murder on your pace), which all lead to major suckage during the race.

The newest piece of clothing I have added to my rep is a pair of pink Under Armor underwear. This is WAY more exciting for me than it probably should be - but seriously, please see my massive chafing clause above. I have learned to take joy in the little things.

Monday was a gorgeous 63 and sunny. It also happened to be Marathon Monday here in Boston. For all of you who have never experienced the Boston Marathon (watching it, running it, anything) all I can say is - do it. It is seriously the most revved up day in the city - more than Move In Day, St. Patrick's Day and Commencement Days combined. The buzz that's in the air when you see the 26,400 runners is a mix of admiration, inspiration, pain, sweat, and booze (lots and lots of booze).

It makes even the most recreational runner lace up with (typically short lived) aspirations of running next year's Marathon. (Runner's nerd note: A course record was set by the winner of the men's division as well as the first US male finisher. The race was run in 2:05:52. Just as a point of reference, my goal is to run my HALF marathon in 2:15:00. Yeah.) All the newspapers (what's that?) and magazines and blogs have been going nuts with runners' "Why I Run" exposes and essays and testimonials. I read most of them. Most of them listed all the reasons I run (there are a dozen at any give point in time for me).

So I ran my 10 miles along the Charles River. I brought two chocolate-y goodness Gu's (little foil packs with like....electrolyte frosting and caffeine in them. Delicious.) and a full bottle of water. My legs were still sore from my 9 mile Tuesday/Ultimate Frisbee Wednesday from the week before, but I ended up with a 9:55 first mile. I always start out fast in the first mile (under 10:00) but usually spike up at mile two (like....10:45ish). Second mile I hit 9:43. The wind along the river was BRUTAL. My legs hurt like a mother.

But when all was said and done, I ran it in 1:38:30. Which is about a 9:48 mile. (Flashback: my first half marathon I ran it 1:47:15, or a 11:42 mile.)

I also almost threw up on the Western Ave bridge on Memorial Drive.

I can't tell you how many squats and lunges it took to get there (somewhere in the thousands) or the miles I've had to run to practice (somewhere in the hundreds) but I can tell you that I pulled my goal time from 2:15:00 to 2:08:00 (which would be approximately 2 minutes off each mile since my last half). Now I'm seeing the results of my winter training, and how they're paying off. This sets me up for breaking 5 hours at the Chicago Marathon this year (my marathon times are 5:36:35 for Boston and 5:18:07 for Baystate) and makes me more focused and determined than ever. Crossing that finish line in Central Park on Sunday has the potential to be a huge moment in 2010.

I am so anxious and excited for this half marathon than I have been for any of my other races, ever (except the Harpoon 5 Miler, but there's free beer after that one). I am going to kill this 13.1 miles on my own terms. And that is why I run. (This time.)

Up next: Pre race and post race Pics/updates/results from the Fitness/More Magazine Half Marathon on Sunday!!


Till then!

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment